|April 27, 1956||Mondorf-les-Bains Flower Festival|
|May 30, 1956||Luxembourg "City of Roses"|
|May 30, 1956||Esch-sur-Alzette - 50th Anniversary|
|August 10, 1956||European Coal and Steel Community|
|September 15, 1956||Europa - Rebuilding Europe|
|September 29, 1956||Railroad Electrification|
|November 7, 1956||Council of State - Centenary|
|December 5, 1956||Cantons I - Echternach, Esch-sur-Alzette, Grevenmacher|
|June 17, 1957||Lord Baden-Powell - Centenary of Birth|
|June 17, 1957||Children's Clinic|
|September 16, 1957||Europa - PAX|
|December 4, 1957||Cantons II - Luxembourg, Mersch, Vianden|
|April 16, 1958||Luxembourg Fair - 10th Anniversary|
|April 16, 1958||Brussels Exposition|
|May 23, 1958||St. Willibrord (658-739) - 1300th Anniversary of Birth|
|September 13, 1958||Europa 1958 - Dove|
|September 13, 1958||Wiltz Open-Air Theater|
|September 13, 1958||Moselle Viticulture|
|December 3, 1958||Cantons III - Capellen, Diekirch, Rédange|
|January 15, 1959||Grand Duchess Charlotte - 40th Anniversary of Reign|
|April 3, 1959||NATO - 10th Anniversary|
|April 3, 1959||Mondorf-les-Bains Flower Festival|
|September 19, 1959||Europa 1959 - Linked Chain|
|September 19, 1959||Luxembourg Railroads - Centenary|
|December 2, 1959||Cantons IV - Clervaux, Remich, Wiltz|
Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg's second-largest community and center of the steel industry, was granted town status in 1906.
These stamps commemorate the 4th anniversary of the establishment in Luxembourg of the headquarters of the European Coal and Steel Community (CECA). (CECA is the French acronym for Communauté Européenne du Charbon et de l'Acier.)
The first portion of the Luxembourg railroad network was electrified in 1956.
The Council of State is an advisory body attached to the Chamber of Deputies (Parliament). Pictured on these stamps are Ignace de la Fontaine (2F), the first Council chairman, and Grand Duchess Charlotte (7F). The likeness of de la Fontaine is from a portrait by J.-B. Fresez.
These stamps commemorate the birth centenary of Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell and the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Boy Scout movement. The 2F stamp includes the logos of the two Luxembourg boy scout organizations -- "Fédération Nationale des Éclaireurs Luxembourgeois" and "Letzeburger Scouten". The 2.50F stamp includes the insignias of the two Luxembourg girl scout organizations -- "Letzeburger Guiden" and "Association des Girl Guides Luxembourgeoises".
These stamps commemorate the Children's Clinic of the Prince Jean-Princess Joséphine-Charlotte Foundation. The Clinic was designed by architects P. Werner and Charles Colling.
This stamp commemorates the 10th anniversary of the Luxembourg Fair.
This stamp commemorates the Brussels International and Universal Exposition (Expo 58). Shown is the Luxembourg Pavilion, designed by architects René Maillet and Pierre Reuter.
St. Willibrord was born in 658 in Northumberland, England. In 698, Irmina of Oeren granted him a monastery in Echternach and from there he spread the word of Christianity and launched his crusades against the pagan cultures that had redeveloped after the fall of Rome. St. Willibrord died on November 7, 739 and was buried in Echternach where his crypt now rests.
The Wiltz music and theater festival, which takes place each year from the end of June to the beginning of August on the open-air stage in front of the Wiltz castle, is a major cultural event in the Grand Duchy. The amphitheater around the open-air stage holds approximately 2,500 people.
This stamp commemorates 2,000 years of grape growing in the Moselle region of Luxembourg. The ancient Romans were responsible for planting the first grapevines. The commercial development of the wine industry in the Moselle region began to thrive in 1890 with the financial assistance of the government.
Charlotte became Grand Duchess on January 15, 1919, after her older sister, Marie-Adélaïde, abdicated.
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was formed on April 4, 1949 as a peacetime military alliance to address military expansion and subversive activities of the Soviet Union and its allies. The founding members were Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, The Netherlands, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, and West Germany.
The Central Station at Luxembourg was opened in 1859, the year the first three railway lines were inaugurated: Luxembourg-Thionville (July 11); Luxembourg-Arlon (September 15); and Luxembourg-Trier (October 4). The opening of the railroad played an important role in improving economic conditions because it enabled efficient communications and trade with Luxembourg's powerful and influential neighbors.
Shown on the stamp are the first few bars of the national anthem De Feierwon ("The Iron Horse"), composed by Michael Lentz in 1859 on the occasion of the inauguration of the first railroad line. It contains the lyric that has become the national motto: Mir wölle bleiwe wat mir sin! ("We want to stay what we are!").