|April 13, 1963||Luxembourg City - Millennium|
|April 13, 1963||European Schools - 10th Anniversary|
|May 8, 1963||International Red Cross - Centenary|
|June 25, 1963||European Convention of Human Rights - 10th Anniversary|
|September 16, 1963||Europa 1963|
|September 16, 1963||World Fly-Fishing Championships|
|September 16, 1963||Telephone Automation|
|December 2, 1963||Emblems of Tradesmen's Groups|
|April 17, 1964||Vianden Hydroelectric Works|
|May 26, 1964||Moselle River Canal System|
|September 14, 1964||Europa 1964 - Flower|
|September 14, 1964||New Atheneum Educational Center|
|October 12, 1964||Benelux - 20th Anniversary|
|November 11, 1964||Accession of Grand Duke Jean|
|December 7, 1964||Luxembourg Scenic Views - Children's Paintings|
The City of Luxembourg was founded in the year 963 when Count Sigefroid acquired from the St. Maximin Abbey of Trier a small fortified observation tower called "Castellum Lucilinburhuc", located on the rocky outcrop of the Bock. Each stamp in this set represents a building or object from a different century of the millennium:
|10th century||Castle "Lucilinburhuc" on the Bock (963)|
|11th century||Gate of Three Towers, part of the second wall of the city (1050)|
|12th century||Benedictine Abbey of Münster|
|13th century||Great Seal of Luxembourg (1244)|
|14th century||Towers on the Rham plateau|
|15th century||Black Virgin in St. Jean's Church, Grund|
|16th century||Grand Ducal Palace (the former City Hall) (1573)|
|17th century||Citadel of the Holy Ghost|
|18th century||Castle Bridge (1736)|
|19th century||City Hall (1838), designed by architect Justin Remont of Liège|
|20th century||New building projects for the millennium -- Municipal Theater, European Community Center, and Grand Duchess Charlotte Bridge (1963)|
The European Schools are located in Luxembourg, Brussels, Varese, Mol, and Karlsruhe.
Shown on this stamp is the château of Colpach, willed to the Red Cross by the widow of steel magnate Émile Mayrisch in 1946. It has been used as a convalescence home since 1948.
The World Fly-Fishing Championships took place in Wormeldange on September 22, 1963.
These stamps show the emblems and patron saints of various tradesmen's groups in Luxembourg City:
|St. Roch||patron of bakers|
|St. Anne||patroness of tailors|
|St. Eloi||patron of blacksmiths|
|St. Michel||patron of shopkeepers|
|St. Barthelemy||patron of butchers|
|St. Thibaut||patron of the 7 main building trades (masons, carpenters, woodworkers, potters, roofers, glaziers, and lathe operators)|
This project, begun in 1959, was completed in June 1964. It provides inexpensive power not only to Luxembourg but to the neighboring countries of Belgium, France, and Germany.
This canal system, allowing commercial ship traffic along the Moselle River to the Rhine, was inaugurated on May 26, 1964 in the presence of Grand Duchess Charlotte, President Charles de Gaulle of France, and Heinrich Lübke of Germany. The principal port is located at Mertert.
This stamp commemorates the 20th anniversary of the Benelux customs union. Pictured on the stamp are Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, King Baudouin of Belgium, and Queen Juliana of The Netherlands.
This was a joint issue with Belgium and The Netherlands.
Grand Duke Jean (Benoît - Guillaume - Marie - Robert - Louis - Antoine - Adolphe - Marc d'Aviano) assumed the throne on November 12, 1964 when his mother, Grand Duchess Charlotte, abdicated in his favor. He was born on January 5, 1921 in Berg castle.
Pictured on these stamps are Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte. They were married in 1953 and have five children.
The three paintings on these stamps depict the Gate of Three Towers, Adolphe Bridge, and the Alzette River flowing through the Grund.