|March 7||Federation of Fire Brigades -- Centenary|
|March 7||International Association of Foreign Exchange Dealers -- 25th Congress|
|March 7||NATO Maintenance and Supply Agency -- 25th Anniversary|
|March 7||International Union of Barristers -- 30th Congress|
|March 7||Council for Customs Cooperation -- 30th Anniversary|
|May 3||Europa 1983 -- Biblical Legends|
|May 3||Echternach Giant Bible|
|May 3||World Communications Year|
|July 1||Grand Duke Jean -- Definitive (7 F)|
|September 7||Buildings -- Diekirch and Dudelange|
|September 7||Luxembourg Basketball Federation -- 50th Anniversary|
|September 7||European Working Dog Championship|
|September 7||Luxembourg, Green Heart of Europe|
|December 5||Town Arms III (Caritas Issue)|
The National Federation of Fire Brigades was founded on January 14, 1883 to strengthen the firefighting forces in Luxembourg. The Federation today has 263 member units with about 8,000 active members.
The International Association of Foreign Exchange Dealers was founded in 1956 and has a membership of about 8,500 from 55 countries. Its 25th congress was held in Luxembourg on June 3-5, 1983.
NAMSA was established in 1958 as a subsidiary of NATO for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and cheap supply of military equipment common to the several member countries. The headquarters of NAMSA has been in Luxembourg since 1968.
The International Union of Barristers was founded by the French, Belgian, and Luxembourg bars in 1927. Today it represents over 300,000 barristers from over 60 countries. Its goals are to promote the principles of the profession of barrister throughout the world; establishing and maintaining close ties with the bars of all nations; and to foster the development of legal science in all areas. Shown on the stamp is the Cross of Justice located in the Market Square of Echternach.
The Council for Customs Cooperation first met in Brussels in 1953 with a goal of standardizing customs procedures amongst the countries of Europe, including creating a unified goods tariff list and a common definition of the value of goods for customs purposes. The Council now has 93 member countries from around the world.
These stamps depict two scenes from the story of the Good Samaritan -- a traveller being attacked on his way from Jerusalem to Jericho (8 F) and his rescue by the Samaritan (16 F). The two drawings are from the "Codex Aureus Escorialensis" an 11th-century masterpiece from the Echternach Abbey.
These stamps show two scripted initials ("h" and "B") from the Giant Bible of Echternach Abbey. This Bible was created by the Echternach scriptorium in the early 11th century.
The first stamp publicizes the use of postal codes in Luxembourg since 1980 to help streamline the delivery of mail.
The second stamp shows a communications satellite launched in 1983 by EUTELSAT. It is primarily used for telephone and telex traffic, but is also capable of television signal transmission.
The St. Laurent Church in Diekirch is built on 2nd or 3rd century Roman foundations. Portions of the church date from the 10th, 15th, and 16th centuries.
Dudelange City Hall was built in 1930/32. For the past century Dudelange has prospered as a center of the iron and steel industry and it was the original home of the headquarters of the ARBED steelworks.
The Luxembourg Basketball Federation was formed on December 10, 1933 by six clubs in the Luxembourg Catholic Youth Federation. Today the Federation is made up of over 200 teams and 3,000 participants, making basketball one of the most popular team sports in the country.
Twelve European nations took part in the 1983 European Championships held at the municipal sports ground in Differdange on September 9-11, 1983. The local organizer was the Police and Guard Dog Club of the Grand Duchy.
This stamp promotes Luxembourg as an appealing tourist destination.
These stamps feature the coats of arms of four local authorities as well as a Nativity scene: